Chiltern Radio TOH 1988

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    kasefish

Hi All,

Can anyone please tell me who did the weather and TOH news jingles at the very end of the following clip?

https://www.aircheckdownloads.com/uk-airchecks/chiltern-radio-dunstable/1980s/paul-mckenna-mar-10th-1988-423

If so, do you know the name of the packages they are from?

Chiltern were using a great TM package at the time, but I’ve realised that I don’t know who made these 2 jingles. The news TOH lived on for many years beyond this and I think it was recreated a few times to freshen it up.

I’m guessing MMI or Alfasound, but never heard them on other demos.

There is also a news sounder / bed at 15 seconds which I can’t identify, so curious about that too.

Just trying to plug a hole in my knowledge that’s annoying me.

Many thanks

Martin

amigo

Hi Martin,

They were using Full Force from TM with some other one-offs from Knockout and the New WSB package (Mckenna in the morning). The second version of the news jingle in the early 90s was Alfa, but still unsure who made this original and when it started airing. Was it during the Chiltern 4 package? It’s not on that demo. Weird that the majority of this recording is in mono, except the news jingle at the end. Was it always in mono?

Amigo

kasefish

Hi Amigo, thanks very much for this info. Gives me something to chew on. I’ll do some more digging around. I’d not noticed the mono issue – very curious. I’ll try and work that out too…

Wilco

Hi Martin

I can confirm the jingle at the end is from Chiltern 4 by Alfasound. I have a copy of the master reels which includes the U.S. vocal session from Chiltern 4, the Alfasound U.S. vocal session for their CD 3 and various versions of that news jingle.

I’m not sure why it wasn’t included in the Chiltern 4 presentation at the time but perhaps it was recorded in a separate session like a number of news jingles seemed to be at the time.

I hope that helps.

David

kasefish

Hi David,

That is interesting. Thank you very much for the info. I had been trawling through old TM packages circa 1985 and was getting convinced it was going to be from one of them.

I will see if I can find any Chiltern 4 re-sings that might include it.

In addition to those mentioned by Amigo above, I found a few beds and extra cuts Chiltern were using in the late 80s / very early 90s on TM’s WBZ’85 and Wildfire(KBKC) demos.

Is the weather bed/ramp just before the TOH at the very end of the clip also on the full Chiltern 4 package you have?

And same question about the news sounder at the very start?

Sorry – just curious!

Many thanks

Martin

Wilco

Hi Martin

Apologies for the late reply.

Unfortunately those additional beds aren’t on the Chiltern 4 master. Musically they sound very different to the jingle package. The news intro sounds like a different mix of the various sounders from Full Force or similar. The top of hour bed into the Chiltern 4 news intro sounds more like production/library music than from a jingle package but I could be wrong.

David

Wilco

Hi all

Hopefully this link will work so get it while you can. Taken from the master tapes, the much sought after Chiltern news instrumental that has never appeared on any demo (as far as I’m aware).

This jingle lasted a number of years on-air – even after the rest of the Chiltern 4 package had been retired. I’ve also included a few of the remixes.

https://on.soundcloud.com/dzDhi

Altogether now…. “From the mighty Sandy Heath transmitter….

amigo

Awesome! nice to hear the mixouts as well. Wonder why it was never featured on the demos?

IainJohnston

Quick technical question…
                      Its marked as “private” on S/c – yet when (certainly for a long while), trying to use private mode
                      on S/c for links to use on JM, they wouldn’t work.

What are you using thats different?
                      Thanks

kasefish

Wow, fantastic. Thank you, David. That’s a Holy Grail level of download.

It certainly was used on air for a long time during the early 90s, and well beyond the fantastic TM packages circa 1989. I’m forever waiting for some more of that material to be published by Jingles.org.

The reworked/updated version never worked quite as well, sounding slightly twee. The original had Gravitas.

I had also definitely never thought it was from Alfasound’s Chiltern 4 package, it’s too good. I will have to dig that out and re-evaluate.

Wilco
                          IainJohnston;c-77726 wrote:
                          Quick technical question…
                          Its marked as “private” on S/c – yet when (certainly for a long while), trying to use private mode
                          on S/c for links to use on JM, they wouldn’t work.

What are you using thats different?
                          Thanks

Hi Iain

To be honest I just clicked the ‘private’ radio button when I created the upload and kept my fingers crossed that JM’ers would be able to access the link from here.

David

Wilco
                            kasefish;c-77727 wrote:
                            Wow, fantastic. Thank you, David. That’s a Holy Grail level of download.

It certainly was used on air for a long time during the early 90s, and well beyond the fantastic TM packages circa 1989. I’m forever waiting for some more of that material to be published by Jingles.org.

The reworked/updated version never worked quite as well, sounding slightly twee. The original had Gravitas.

I had also definitely never thought it was from Alfasound’s Chiltern 4 package, it’s too good. I will have to dig that out and re-evaluate.

Hi Martin

Glad you enjoyed those cuts.

I have to agree, the original is far better than the updated version but if I’m trying not to be too biased ;) , I guess the reworked cut fitted in more with the package they had on air at the time. I’d long since moved out of their TX by then.

I do love the Chiltern 4 package. It sounded quite different to anything else Alfasound had done at the time. Listening through the master tape last night and hearing Peyton Park and the legendary Trella Hart plus another lead singer only identified as ‘Larry’ on the slate.

David

mb
                              Wilco;c-77723 wrote:
                              Hi all

Hopefully this link will work so get it while you can. Taken from the master tapes, the much sought after Chiltern news instrumental that has never appeared on any demo (as far as I’m aware).

This jingle lasted a number of years on-air – even after the rest of the Chiltern 4 package had been retired. I’ve also included a few of the remixes.

https://on.soundcloud.com/dzDhi

Altogether now…. “From the mighty Sandy Heath transmitter….

Thanks for those really enjoyed hearing them in the clear –

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.