2023 Reelworld One WSPA-FM Jingle Cuts

• This topic has 9 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 7 months ago by .
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    clj2

I didn’t realize I never posted these here, I had recorded the 2014-2017 RW One jingles from WSPA-FM at 98.9 right before its move to 106.3. This is all I have right now but these are the jingles that were commissioned to change the “98.9” to “106-3”.

They use these jingles WAY more now than in this video (and the whole “The 80s Through today, Magic, Magic 106-3 cuts). Maybe it’s just me, but the “THREEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!” almost comes off as jarring to me. It’s very harshly high pitched – like the tone needs to be brought down a bit.
      The cut with “The Carolinas” is weird – this signal only covers SC, not NC lol. I’ll get a whole montage up soon.

Jingles are timestamped in the description:

• This topic was modified 8 months ago by .
      clj2
      Author

Oh dang – just found some more on SoundCloud!

Just to add, I think KKLI and KYMG got their money’s worth out of this package compared to whatever ReelWorld was doing here for WSPA-FM. KKLI doesn’t sound so screamy. This package for WSPA-FM sounds like they’re trying to keep the same octave with the “Magic 106-THREEEEEE!!!! as “Magic 98.9” and it just doesn’t work.

• This reply was modified 8 months ago by .
        mjb1124

Maybe it’s just me, but the “THREEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!” almost comes off as jarring to me. It’s very harshly high pitched – like the tone needs to be brought down a bit.

You’re definitely not the only one who feels this way. I’m not a fan of their very loud and high pitched ending chords either (or the amount of reverb/echo used). But they’ve been doing this for 20+ years now, and it’s been discussed to death – clearly this approach must work for them and their clients. At least their KOST packages are a bit more restrained in this regard.

TigerQ105

I however unironically love the Reelworld ONE resings. The way they sang the logo reminds me of the earlier package they did for WSNI. (Sunny One-oh-three-five!)
            Although I agree with you that they need to soften out the last bit at the end, it does sound a bit screechy. (No slandering intended)

TimS

All the same shit to me. It all starts with a computer/synth logo melody line and ends with a sung tag. How many jingles did RW make? Thousands? Or just one? Two maybe? (Again, all the same to me.) Same with Pure Jingles.

TigerQ105

It all starts with a computer/synth logo melody line and ends with a sung tag.

Isn’t this always common with most modern jingle companies nowadays? So far, in my opinion, I have no issues enjoying these jingles from those 2 companies you just mentioned, they sound very cool at some point.

IainJohnston

“It all starts with a computer/synth logo melody line and ends with a sung tag”

I think its fair to say that near enough every cut by anybody these days appears to be “constructed” to the same basic formula.
                  And designed to be digitally “chopped” into full/ramp/”shotgun”/etc lengths. Not “stand-alone”.

ID jingles after all are “tools”.
                  There’s not many different shapes nowadays to a spanner – it and jingles have “evolved” to a same shape to do their function.

Perhaps as collectors we miss “transition cuts” with an internal change of tempo or texture, or some jingles that
                  actually DIDN’T have the station name always at the end tag = e.g. had the frequency or a slogan at the end and
                  the name at the beginning or in the middle.

Those days perhaps have gone – along with a single-station PD who “cared” about what their IDs sounded like.
                  Now its all “corporate”.

So we at least can play (and swap) our old dubs of things that were perhaps a bit more “interesting” musically.
                  On-air wise…well…who knows?
                  :^)

TigerQ105

Oh dang – just found some more on SoundCloud!

Just to add, I think KKLI and KYMG got their money’s worth out of this package compared to whatever ReelWorld was doing here for WSPA-FM. KKLI doesn’t sound so screamy.

I believe they use a different AC vocal group for the rest of iHeart’s AC stations, so that’s the reason why they sound different. This one’s much softer, but not too overpowering.

clj2
                    Author

In the last resings for WSPA-FM on 98.9, and prior to that even, the group they used sang “Magic” with a softer tone with an emphasis on the “gi” part. Then the last 9 in “98.9” had a lower sounding sing. In the new ones for 106.3, the vocals don’t sound as varied throughout the jingles. Actually, the last 98.9 sings used a very similar if not the same group as those KSNI jingles IMO.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.