WLS FANTASY CONTEST (1973)

• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by .
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Starbrelz

Does anyone actually have a copy of this jingle? And know how a PAMS WRC-Washington wound up on WLS?

Neil Leibowitz

The ending jingle IS a “Legitimate” WLS Jingle.

IainJohnston

Indeed was surprised to hear the WRC cut with possibly a “frankenstein mix” WLS vocal.

For “reference purposes”, here’s the original PAMS WRC custom, circa 1973 (My Gawd, FIFTY years ago I was sent that tape…!)

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by .
          JAM / PAMS

how a PAMS WRC-Washington wound up on WLS?

“The Fantasy” was a contest which was created at PAMS in conjunction with WRC. I did all the production of the enormous number of promos. Most of the scripts were written by Washington ad man Dan Paisley. He and I and WRC’s production director Bob Gross spent weeks going out with a portable tape machine to conduct countless interviews at shopping malls, night spots, and the airport (to get a variety of accents). In the studio we sifted through hours of tape to find the most amusing or compelling actualities, which all came from the real people we interviewed. We asked them what they’d do with $25,000, and the best responses were used in the promos. PAMS created a custom :60 jingle which was mixed in a variety of ways for use under the promos. At WRC they used the short jingle you asked about, which was from their custom package, at the end of the promos. So when PAMS syndicated the contest to other stations, like WLS, they included that WRC jingle in the package of things the station received. There’s nothing too mysterious about it. -jmw

IainJohnston

Jon, you could write a book with all these anecdotes!
              you must have thousands of stories to tell :^)

Starbrelz
              Author

So, does the WLS cut still exist?

logodave

Brelz, It may exist but when PAMS did one-offs, onezies, etc.. who knows what reference reel it went on. At JAM, everything is
                  documented on paper and placed on a reference reel. Simple. PAMS and that era for WLS, good luck. It may exist. Just saying.
                  I also wish to add that I mentioned when I worked at WMEE (big mistake) I told you all that my voice was on the Z+ package and
                  everyone said I was full of sh*t. Well guess what? It’s on the station master on multiple cuts!!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.