66 WNBC Over The Years – JAM/PAMS Montage (Different Packages!)

• This topic has 18 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by .
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    jaydoherty

Hi everyone,

Over many months, I’ve received numerous JAM/PAMS WNBC Jingles from friends, the internet, etc. In montage form, here is everything I have so far. Happy Holidays!

https://soundcloud.com/user-589054547/66-wnbc-jampams-jingle-montage

IainJohnston

In October 1971 (…Jeez…what a long time ago now…!), Jiffy Bags with 5″ reels direct from WNBC and WCBS AM/FM
        thudded onto my doormat. (Never “bagged” WABC – “someone else” was managing that big time though!!!)
        The tapes are gone now, but I at least have modern digital copies of most of the audio :)

Certainly was an era when the three big USA Networks’ flagship stations (WABC 77 WNBC 66 and WCBS 88)
        dominated New York City…

https://soundcloud.com/allthebestjingles04a/wixy1360-classictm-wnbc-design70-2009wma?si=b8f7e89071aa4766b3cb5bad6ac148de&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

https://soundcloud.com/allthebestjingles04a/wixy1360-classictm-wnbc-design72-2009wma?si=b8f7e89071aa4766b3cb5bad6ac148de&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

https://soundcloud.com/allthebestjingles04a/wixy1360-classictm-wnbc-newyork-2008wma?si=b8f7e89071aa4766b3cb5bad6ac148de&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

And don’t forget Heller, (who did WNBC before 1050 WHN were using them in 1971)…

bobgreenradio

I would call this montage the “Best of Freedman”. A lot of people dont know that Ben Freedman cross cut resings into the WABC PAMS cuts when Dale was the P.D. at WNBC. Amazingly well done work.

And clearly, I prefer the PAMS cuts over the other stuff. Another thing, I recall Ben saying the resings were cut at TM, in their studio with the Dallas Group singers

mjb1124

Great montage Jay! Really enjoyed hearing the resings from The Best Show and the one cut from Express Pack, along with other odds and ends I haven’t heard before. As well as the one TM You cut that snuck in at the end. :)

ronfil

Great Montage. Been looking for “The Station That Reaches The Beaches” cut forever. Thank You!!

TigerQ105

To be honest, this is indeed a winner compilation for the legendary 66 WNBC~
                Or should Howard Stern would call is ’66 W-NNNNNNN-BC’

bobgreenradio

indeed.

It is funny. Stern is best known for how he stretched the call letters. He HATED the way Dale wanted the call announced, yet that affect is famous today! something else, Dale hired Cousin Brucie after ABC cut him free, yet Brucie strangely fails to mention his time at WNBC 66 when he drifts back to the ‘old days’

jaydoherty
                  Author
                    bobgreenradio;c-77802 wrote:
                    indeed.

Dale hired Cousin Brucie after ABC cut him free, yet Brucie strangely fails to mention his time at WNBC 66 when he drifts back to the ‘old days’

Ah yes. There’s an old TM “Brucie! Cousin Bruce Morrow’ – 66 WNBC” jingle made some time in those old days.

nleibo

Probably because Bob Pittman cut Brucie loose–what happened at WABC was a mutual decision between Brucie & Rick Sklar (WABC PD)–not so at WNBC..:(

tophour_brian
                        nleibo;c-77807 wrote:
                        Probably because Bob Pittman cut Brucie loose–what happened at WABC was a mutual decision between Brucie & Rick Sklar (WABC PD)–not so at WNBC..:(

Nope. Brucie tricked Sklar into reopening his contract and then bolted for NBC. Sklar wrote about it in his book and Brucie has confirmed.

bobgreenradio

Also, Brucie was in a partnership with Sillerman holding a cluster of station ownership, and issues.

Bruces true success is outliving the solid talent at ABC. No way around it. Dan Ingram was Sklars best air talent. Maybe Harry was next in line, though at WMCA, Garry “Stevens” was a far better jock.

nleibo
                            tophour_brian;c-77808 wrote:
                            nleibo;c-77807 wrote:
                            [
                            Nope. Brucie tricked Sklar into reopening his contract and then bolted for NBC. Sklar wrote about it in his book and Brucie has confirmed.

/quote]
                            The POINT is Sklar did NOT fire Brucie–Pittman at WNBC did–if it were you, how would you feel?

Mix105Indy

I am part of a staff of a radio station called HitOldies. http://www.hitoldies.net Back in late 2020, we made contact with former WNBC PD Dale Parsons and we reenacted the WNBC Time Machine. The Time Machine aired on NBC between 1987 and 1988. If you watch this Youtube video, you can learn more about some of the history of that particular period of time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaRvXIhz__Y

JohnL

Just finished listening to the montage and enjoyed the heck out of it. And I always enjoy hearing the Nothing But Class (N-B-C) top of the hour, which I purchased a version of for WBCQ in 1999… which is still in use. Thanks JD!

glen

Can post you the post WBCQ remix? Thanks

Norman Barrington

Finally able to get back on here, in response to iainjohnston, I also got a couple of reels from WNBC the first in 1969 and the second in 1970. Here are the boxes which I keep for old time’s sake although of course digitised too.
                                    This one is the classic TM package
                                    This one from a year earlier consists of 10 Heller Jingles interleaved with 10 superb commercials unfortunately the 1969 reel is at 3.75ips (Jon Wolfert remarked “Cheapskates!” but still a fascinating listen, and aged 17 I was blown away getting a jiffy bag from a New York Station!

Norman Barrington

Hey Iain I also got two tapes directly from WNBC back in 1969 and 1970. The ’69 tape consists of 10 Heller jingles and 10 excellent commercials. It was recorded at 3.75ips which Jon Wolfert described as “Cheapskates!”, but as a 17 year old at the time, I was blown away by getting a tape from the Big Apple! They send another tape in 1970 of the famous TM package this time at 7.5IPS. I kept the boxes for old time’s sake, but of course digitised the audio too. WNBC Box 1969<BR>WNBC Box 1970

IainJohnston

Two posts for the price of one there Norman!

I think a few of us were operating in parallel in that era, writing off to stations, and that included a certain Mr Wolfert, but never knew that until many many years later.😀

I’d just started Uni in October 1971, and a small wave of tapes arrived that autumn from some of the stations I’d written to late summer (typical 4 weeks for a jiffybag to get from the USA by surface mail.)

Some of those items I’ve got digital replacements e.g. via KenR, others….

Norman Barrington

Well Iain, at first it would not show my post at all, now I see instead of showing both boxes in one email, it has duped it and shows one box in each! I will have a go at tidying up the mess, next time my PC is on. Meanwhile that WRVA you posted, I’d love to trade for an in-the-clear copy. It is hard to come by something ‘new’ from that period theae days!

IainJohnston

Norman, will follow this up off-forum 🙂
                                            IJ

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.