New! JingleMad Radio webplayer. Find it at https://jinglemad.com/webplayer

BBC Radio Kent

Does anyone have the jingle package used by BBC Radio Kent from 1983 to 1986?

The station theme and many of the jingles used an 'interesting' mix of harpsichord and electric guitar.

It'd bring back so many memories.

Ta

Winston

Comments

• I think he's actually talking about the Radio Medway / R.K. (The Voice of Kent) package that was used before the switch to Alfasound. It's great to have the Alfasound Radio Kent 1&2 packages though!!!

I'm also interested in those old jingles as well.
  • Thanks very much Rob T, but NJ1015 is right, it's the pre-1986 jingles that really I'm after.

I have some of the RK jingles from this period recorded on tape, including the theme, but a presenter talks all over it.

As NJ1015 says though, it's nice to have the Alfasound package from 1986 - a much more complete package to the 7 minute one that I've got already.

Thanks again 'White Rose Man'.

Winston
  • Winston Janeiro wrote:

The station theme and many of the jingles used an 'interesting' mix of harpsichord and electric guitar.

Ta

Winston

They were a good set of jingles and i remember that logo melody to this very day. I heard them on Radio Derby strangley enough. They were playing a promo that RK did regarding travel news for Kent.

I'd also be interested in hearing them again.
  • Winston Janeiro wrote:

Ta

Winston

Hopefully this is what you are referring to? Sorry I've not got any more and excuse the extreme ropeyness of the recording :((

RK harpsichord, electric guitars and all !
  • Jonno - you're an absolute star.

Just the ticket.

I'll try to get some of the jingles that I have on tape electronically recorded and cleaned up. It may take several weeks though.

However, if anyone's got any other jingles, or the full package, then please post.

Also, please see my BBC Radio Medway thread - this has yet to yield anything.

Many thanks again.

Winston
  • Thanks Winston for asking these questions as I posted same topic a couple of years back and got nothing. I first started collecting jingles at this time and those RK jingles were the start for me. Have no idea who produced them but it was a great tune. I believe one of the voices on the jingles was the Prog Controller at that time, Clive Lawrence. Maybe if anybody knows Clive they could ask him whether he has any info.

My tape by the way with all the cuts on was mangled in my old cassette recorder years back so thanks to jonno for bringing back some superb memories!
  • Hi Dave

Your absolutely right, Clive Lawrence did voice some of the jingles. In fact it was Clive I wrote to at the time asking for a copy of the jingle package but he wrote back to say that to let me have a copy would be infringement of copyright (I still have a copy of what was a disappointing letter).

I Googled his the other day and he's now involved with a training comapany called Vertex. Maybe I'll e-mail him and ask if he can remember who produced the jingles.

In the meantime, I'll try to get some of the jingles off tape and into electronic format.

Cheers

Winston
  • Update: I emailed him last week but yet to hear back. The only other people I can think of who were there at that time are Pat Marsh (doing mid-morning at RK) and Bob Ballard (now sports reporter at 5 Live). Outside chance one of those 2 might know??!!
  • OK, so I'm never statisfied (as my wife often tells me)!

I was extremely grateful to Jonno for his post but is there anyone out there who has an even better quality version of the RK main theme?

The challenge is on.
  • Bumping this... never received a response from either the BBC or Clive sadly. This is one of those weird ones that seems to have a dead-end. Somebody somewhere must know where that package came from?!!
  • Sorry to hear that you didn't get any responses but thanks for keeping this thread alive Dave M. I've now got a dozen or so RK jingles copied into electronic format from cassette, all currently as WAV files. Could you advise as to how I can best upload these?
  • Winston, if you can convert them to MP3 then you can attach them to a post on this forum thread using the File to attach section on the Post Reply page. (use the browse button to locate the file on your harddrive, and use Add another attachment if you want to add multiple files) and when you click Reply to thread, the file will be uploaded as an attachment
  • I've spoken to Bob Balllard. His reply was as follows:

"The voice on the RK jingles was not that of Clive Lawrence but his opposite number at Radio Shropshire - Andy Wright, I think from memory.

The jingles were composed by Gordon Giltrap of 'Heartsong' fame - the theme tune to Holiday on BBC television.

Quite where you would find it now - I don't know. Gordon, I don't believe, had done radio jingles before or since.

I hope that points you in the right direction...good luck"

The quest continues.

Winston
  • Good stuff Winston! I posted a message on the offical Gordon Giltrap discussion boards and Gordon himself replied with this:

"A loooong time ago, even I can't remember how it went... !sad "

So, where do we go now?!!
  • jonno wrote:

Ta

Winston

Hopefully this is what you are referring to? Sorry I've not got any more and excuse the extreme ropeyness of the recording :((

Any chance of re-posting file - missed 1st time around :(
  • Hi Dave

I got in touch with Gordon Giltrap as well. This was his response to me:

"I too would like to hear those jingles again, but sadly I think they are lost to time."

Not really sure where we go from here. I'll have a think about it.

Winston
  • upsweep wrote:

Ta

Winston

Any chance of re-posting file - missed 1st time around :(

Here we go...

http://jinglemad.com/e107_files/public/1198846363_844_FT45783_radio_kent_early_80s.mp3 filename:1198846363_844_FT45783_radio_kent_early_80s.mp3
  • thank you for repost of file! :D
  • OK, here we go: a truncated but hopefully better quality version of the RK theme.

Some jingles to follow.

Hope you like.

Winston :)

http://jinglemad.com/e107_files/public/1199402704_10537_FT45783_rk_theme_short.mp3 filename:1199402704_10537_FT45783_rk_theme_short.mp3
  • OK, here we go...

...my very first jingle montage; one dedicated to RK.

Enjoy.

Winston

(PS - If you'd like to hear the very first BBC Radio Kent jingle to be broadcast on the station's switch to stereo broadcasts - part of the first Alfasound package - then please let me know.)

;)

http://jinglemad.com/e107_files/public/1200091945_10537_FT45783_montage.mp3 filename:1200091945_10537_FT45783_montage.mp3
  • Well done Winston on a great first montage.
    I bet there`s no stopping you now mate.
    Rob.
  • Hi all. Joined a few months ago but only just worked out how to do the montage thing! So for starters it's BBC Kent Alfasound 1 1986. The first Stereo cut that Winston refers to is not in there, nearly included it but didn't. Constructive criticism of my mixing will be welcomed. Now I just have to get the knack of attaching it here! Deep breath......and here's hoping........... (Although it doesn't appear to be on the preview page!)
  • Hmmm. Clearly not then! Do i have to re-name the file to something else?? It's just sitting on my desktop and I clicked on the "attach file" in reply. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks....
  • if you are trying to upload to site - needs to the right format below

Allowed filetypes: | .mp3 | .jpg | .png | .gif | .x-mp3 |

also there is a limit of 9Mb in size for file, if your file is bigger, than you need to use an link to an exterior site for example 4shared
  • Thanks upsweep. Sorry for the delay, I was indulging in expanding my other collection: clothing! Anyway the Kent montage is now in the Downloads section.
  • Bump - anybody know the whereabouts of this very elusive Gordon Giltrap package or is it lost forever...?
  • Hi Dave

Perhaps the imminent 25th anniversary of the station's launch provides the perfect (but possibly final) opportunity for me to contact Gordon again and ask him about the jingles' whereabouts.

Thanks for bumping it.
  • Clive Lawrence kindly replied a couple of weeks back and said that he sadly doesn't have anything from this era. Is it worth somebody sending one of the recordings of the main theme/montages to Gordon Giltrap to see whether this bumps his memory ?
  • Oh my!

These bring back alot of memories!

I was lucky enough to work with some of the presenters when they were still based at Sun Pier, Chatham which was just a 10 min drive from where I lived at the time.

Don't listen much now though sadly and don't think much of the BBC's current imaging either.

Thats my 2p worth!