New! JingleMad Radio webplayer. Find it at https://jinglemad.com/webplayer

Station Songs

I was reflecting this week how we will probably not see station songs again, but it's lovely to look back!

What are your favorite station songs?

Here are 3 from where I live; Peak 107fm from North Derbyshire, High Peak Radio and Moorlands Radio (I wrote the lyrics for the last one).

I would love to hear any 'station songs' you have in your collection or indeed any you wrote or had produced! Please share if you can!

Comments

  • Question is - who was THAT "Peak" one produced for first?
    Peak or Kingdom?
    :^)

  • @IainJohnston said:
    Question is - who was THAT "Peak" one produced for first?
    Peak or Kingdom?
    :^)

    Not heard the Kingdom version - do you have it? (it's the one I had re-sung for Moorlands in 2004!)

  • edited July 23

    Have it kicking around on a CD (somewhere!)
    Will post it later.

    In the meantime, a short but nice one from "the cassette days"...(and its a DIFFERENT "Fife"...)
    :^)

  • NOT the Steve England Kingdom one (still looking...) but the TM one from 2010...

  • edited July 23

    OK, the Steve England Kingdom FM one, from Steve's ID Collection Vo2 track22 the "Get Real" demo

    The Peak 107 version is the first cut on track 5 of that CD.

  • @IainJohnston said:
    NOT the Steve England Kingdom one (still looking...) but the TM one from 2010...

    I always Liked that Song from TM I thought the Vocals from Annagrey was spot on

  • edited July 24

    At the time, Martin,2010 (?) someone asked who the distinct "new" male vocalist was on that.

    Don't know if have heard him since, at least not on solos?

  • For me it's the first Capital Radio Main Theme from 1973 produced by George Martin and featuring the London Symphony Orchestra plus Blue Mink:

    When you heard this you knew something had gone wrong !

  • The Kingdom TM ""We're for Fife" business/promotion big cut...
    ...possibly got a mixout turned into a resing for WBZZ B94New Kensington (Pittsburgh) PA.

    Audio credit for my extract here is to NealB - though the original audio is somehow tagged as RW not TM?
    Either that, or there's some other "link" between the music composition/production?

    PS - I know there's various mixouts etc of the full TM version and they've been embargoed for all of
    these 10 years...but should anyone just happen to have a copy of the full set just "accidently lurking"
    somewhere.....?
    :^)

  • From a demo cassette I mooched from EMIson in 1976 (!), this one's for Big Dave...
    ;^)

  • Since its still raining, might as well....

  • @IainJohnston said:
    The Kingdom TM ""We're for Fife" business/promotion big cut...
    ...possibly got a mixout turned into a resing for WBZZ B94New Kensington (Pittsburgh) PA.

    Audio credit for my extract here is to NealB - though the original audio is somehow tagged as RW not TM?
    Either that, or there's some other "link" between the music composition/production?

    PS - I know there's various mixouts etc of the full TM version and they've been embargoed for all of
    these 10 years...but should anyone just happen to have a copy of the full set just "accidently lurking"
    somewhere.....?
    :^)

    Apologies if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure this cut is ReelWorld rather than TM, as the same cut appears in a RW demo that I have for B94.

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/boa89xg5ltrl6jt/ReelWorld-1999-B94-Pittsburgh.mp3?dl=0

  • edited July 25

    OK, indeed Noah - "Ramp #1".

    1) laughed (?) at the "intro vox-pop girls wording" - sounded like a send-up of the old poor PAMS Series 45 (or whatever it was) demo.
    2) if ever a female vocalist sounded plain drunk or even stoned, those dire "slurred" enunciation shouldn't have have got beyond the front door,
    even if it was considered "the style of the time".

    All "In my personal opinion", that is...

  • Has to be the PAMS song for Metro Radio late '74/early '75. Len Groat did a top job with the lyrics for this, getting around the locations in the patch and selling the station. Still sounds good after 45+ years.

  • edited July 25

    By Gawd, the Metro one sounds damn good in headphones!

    :^)

    Anyone care to post the Irish resing?

    And in the meantime, by the technical miracle of (my dodgy) digital editing, something that doesn't
    get heard this way very often...

    :^)

  • ......and of course the new version I had made in February 2020 for Solid Gold GEM AM! (love this song!)

  • @IainJohnston said:
    By Gawd, the Metro one sounds damn good in headphones!

    :^)

    Anyone care to post the Irish resing?

    This one?

  • Note the "sing this in an Irish Accent Please" Noticeable on a certain word 5 seconds in!!...
    Forgotten how good this resing was! :wink:

  • @petewilson said:
    Note the "sing this in an Irish Accent Please" Noticeable on a certain word 5 seconds in!!...
    Forgotten how good this resing was! :wink:

    Pete - Just played it to my other half..... she having been subjected to my own version for months (poor lady), and she noticed the Irish pronunciations straight away.

  • Talking of GEM - Just remembered this from Trent 301

  • @IainJohnston said:
    The Kingdom TM ""We're for Fife" business/promotion big cut...
    PS - I know there's various mixouts etc of the full TM version and they've been embargoed for all of
    these 10 years...but should anyone just happen to have a copy of the full set just "accidently lurking"
    somewhere.....?
    :^)

    Or Maybe TC would consider putting this on a Basics Collection??

  • 1) Great version Tony :^)
    2) 2FM - I'm sure on a previous JM discussion, it was said that that version was recorded in ROI with Irish singers?
    3) Kingdom - MPF Basics - would be nice, but suspect at 2010 its too "recent" to be in the category that TC is permitted to release

  • From a cassette sold by the now-long-gone station for £8.99 or whatever...Lantern FM Devon

    PS - its weird to listen to the 1:10 long acapella mixout!

  • From the land of "FurryBoots"...

  • @IainJohnston said:
    From a cassette sold by the now-long-gone station for £8.99 or whatever...Lantern FM Devon

    PS - its weird to listen to the 1:10 long acapella mixout!

    Thanks for sharing the Lantern FM theme. It would be good to hear more cuts from the package as I think it was largely influenced by the first DevonAir package from Alfasound either in the form of resings or, as with the Lantern FM song, developing some of the melodic themes into a new composition. DevonAir was the first experience of ILR I had when living in Exeter and was formative in acquiring the jingle collecting bug! You can hear the influence of the DevonAir cuts and song in the later bespoke Lantern FM song composition.

  • edited July 28

    Heck!
    I was going to do the DevonAir one next!

    So, just deviating slightly (?) off course, from quite a few years back now, a couple of my earlier montages...


    Regarding the Lantern ones...I'll PM you shortly :^)
    IJ

  • I really quite like the Mercia 220 song

  • Michael, I've got a copy of that Mercia package tagged as "never used"?

  • edited July 29

    Deleted

  • One of my all time favourite songs has to be the Standard Sound theme for Radio Clyde which I love for its quirkiness and energy. Don't know what the rest of the package sounded like but when a friend at uni brought me this aircheck on cassette from their home city of Glasgow I fell in love with this song and indeed quite a lot of the SS/MMI productions of that time.

  • After "the EMIson years", Muff did a lot of custom and other stuff for Clyde throughout the late 70s
    and the 80s, including the AM and FM splits etc etc, and as SS, MMI, and in conjunction with TM,
    up until the 1993 JAM composite.

    I've got various dubs of some of these packages in never-quite-100% quality, and STILL got gaps un-filled.
    You're welcome to anything of them as they stand.

    When the prime copies ever get "made available"....who knows!

  • @IainJohnston said:
    Michael, I've got a copy of that Mercia package tagged as "never used"?

    it's still great :)

  • I quite like this one from BBC Northampton from the early 00's - by Bespoke Music. Saving the pennies to have this one re-sung!

    https://audiomack.com/tony-mullins-2/song/bbc-northampton-song

  • @TonyMullinsRadio said:
    I quite like this one from BBC Northampton from the early 00's - by Bespoke Music. Saving the pennies to have this one re-sung!

    https://audiomack.com/tony-mullins-2/song/bbc-northampton-song

    Very Nice but I thought they had stopped
    Personal re sings

  • Another favourite from DevonAir would be this song. The underscore was used effectively as the bed for the coastal weather forecast. This is the version with the richer orchestrations that were used for the first few weeks of the package's life, before versions with the duller orchestrations were used for the majority of the package's life thereafter.

  • South Wales always had some good ones!
    :^)

Sign In or Register to comment.